Point Lobos: A Historic Look Back
Images courtesy of California State Parks
Two divers and their support crew working in Whaler’s Cove after the turn of the 20th Century. Note: Coal Chute Point in background with buildings and narrow-gauge railroad tracks used to transport coal to waiting ships.
Two divers prepare to enter the water at Whaler’s Cove.
An abalone fishery and cannery was established about 1900, a partnership between Mr. Alexander Allan and Japanese marine biologist Mr. Gennosuke Kodani that lasted over 30 years. This image shows coal chute point with hundreds of harvested abalone shells.
Whaler’s Cove was the site of intensive industrial uses including a whaling station, abalone cannery and fishery, a gravel quarry, and lumber and dairy shipping. During World War II Whaler’s Cove was used for a variety of purposes for the war effort.
Whaler’s Cove (today’s parking lot) with buildings and equipment. Today’s boat launch is in the foreground and cannery point (loop) trail is in the background.