In the summer of 1873, property owner David Jacks let a group of Methodists build small shacks on his property to hold a Christian Seaside Retreat in a grove of pines. The participants returned to their homes and churches boasting of the mild summer temperature and peaceful setting. Within two years, David Jacks and Methodist leaders were favorably negotiating the purchase of the grove site. They named their property the Pacific Grove Retreat. By the 1880s, streets were lined with shops and hotels. By an act of Legislature passed July 16, 1889, the town of Pacific Grove was duly incorporated as a city.
Pacific Grove’s population began to grow rapidly. To maintain the community temperance, the leaders established blue laws that outlawed alcohol, gambling, and Sunday desecration. They even imposed a curfew for women. The laws extended one mile from the center of Pacific Grove, so it affected the YW camp at Asilomar. For the first couple of years, from 1913 to 1915, the YWCA enforced the 10:00 o’clock women’s curfew. Girls were asked to be in their tent houses in case a Methodist “father” might pass by.
By the late 1910s the blue laws in Pacific Grove were abolished, except for a portion of the alcohol law which still persists today: No alcohol is allowed in public areas without a city permit.