Christened “Long Views” for the panoramic vista of the dunes and Pacific Ocean, these buildings sit on one of the old camp tent house sites. Asilomar’s original camp lodging was tent houses with decorative striped canvas walls and doors made from pieces of old circus tent. Each unit was built on a raised wood foundation to keep forest animals out. They were furnished with beds and dressers, and equipped with electricity, running water and toilets.
By 1935, the canvas walls and doors were replaced with wood. The plumbing was improved, and full service bathrooms with showers were installed. They nicknamed the structures “Long houses.”
After Asilomar became a unit of the state park system, the long houses were scheduled to be torn down. In 1966, architect John Carl Warnecke spent $200,000 to design and build three adjoining lodges in their place, known as “Long Views.” Fifteen months after the grand opening of Long Views, arson fire burned part of the structure, and the Long Views had to be rebuilt.
You must have an internet or cellular connection to use Google Maps.