809. Engineer's Cottage

Julia Morgan designed this little building, the Engineer’s Cottage, in 1913. She built it for herself to live in and use as a construction site office while she supervised the work for her other Asilomar buildings. After Asilomar was sold to California State Parks in 1956, the building was used for several different functions. In 1961 while the Crocker Dining Hall was closed five months for remodeling, the cottage was nicknamed “The Bread Box and Salad Bowl.” The concessionaire prepared 70,000 meals in the cottage’s kitchen for park guests staying on the conference grounds. In later years it was used as a state park training classroom and administrative offices for the state fire academy. In 2003, state parks approved to have the building converted back into a two-bedroom guest suite.