807. Stone Pillar

For most visitors, the two pillars that flank the entrance road are their first view of Asilomar. And, like so much here, they were conceived and designed by Julia Morgan. They’re constructed of local granite, and they’ve been standing here at the intersection of Asilomar Avenue and Sinex (sin-icks) Avenue since 1913, welcoming visitors inside. From here, the road sweeps down, towards the circle of buildings at the center of Asilomar: the Phoebe Apperson Hearst Social Hall, the Mary Ann Crocker Dining Hall, and the Grace H. Dodge Chapel Auditorium. These columns are a passageway to a quieter, more natural, more contemplative place.