804 - Scripps Lodge Annex, 1927
The YWCA commissioned Julia Morgan to construct new buildings as funding became available. The 1927 Scripps Lodge Annex was the result of a generous donation by Ellen Browning Scripps of La Jolla, California, who also paid for Class Hall (built in 1918 and destroyed by fire in 1955).
The multi-purpose Scripps building was designed to accommodate year-round "leisure" visitors to Asilomar. The large meeting room on the southeast end was originally a restaurant with a full-service kitchen that later became the laundry for the grounds. The interior living room folding doors were a later addition, while the stone fireplace, redwood board and batten walls, and bracketed beams are original. The exterior terraced patio was once surrounded by tall Monterey pines.