The Warden’s Cottage was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps as part of their development of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park during the Great Depression. It is perhaps the best preserved of the lasting buildings. The cottage follows the corps’ “rustic aesthetic,” in which river rocks and redwood lumber were used to blend in with the park’s surroundings. Note the decorative pine tree cut-outs on the shutters and rugged stone on the exterior of the building that highlight this. As evidenced by its name, the cottage was the home of the park’s warden, or most senior supervisor, but is no longer in use. The cottage’s accompanying garage was built in 1936 and is now the Ewoldsen Nature Center.